Summertime is on the horizon! There are a lot of celebrations during the month of June but one is most fitting to catnip: Adopt a Cat Month. With summer comes the rising temperatures and efforts being made to cool things down. Have you ever thought about our feline friends who don a fur coat all year long? The sweltering summer heat can indeed be a torment and often life threatening.
Adopt a Cat Month is HERE!
Why is Adopt A Cat Month in June? During the spring, shelters are brimming with cats and kittens of every age. Unfortunately, there are often more cats in a given shelter than they can handle.
This overpopulation causes millions of perfectly healthy, loveable and adoptable kittens and cats to be euthanized every year.
Even though June is designated as Adopt a Cat Month, it is not just about the cat. June is loaded with Pet Celebrations:
- Adopt-a-Cat Month®. From the American Humane Association.
- Adopt-a-Shelter-Cat Month. From the ASPCA.
- National Pet Preparedness Month. This month, timed for the first month of hurricane season, urges people with pets to make preparations in case they should be hit by a disaster…and that includes making plans for what you would do with your dog in case of a hurricane, tornado, flood or other natural disaster.
- June 4, 2013: Hug Your Cat Day.
- 1st week in June. Pet Appreciation Week.
- June 10, 2013: World Pet Memorial Day.
- mid-June: Animal Rights Awareness Week.
- June 21, 2013: National Dog Party Day.
- June 24, 2013: Take Your Dog to Work Day.
Ready? Set! Adopt a cat!
If you missed any of the links at the beginning of the post, click HERE for MORE CELEBRATIONS in the month of June!